Wednesday, February 01, 2006

 Shame of the Union 

Over at Talking Points Memo, Josh admits:

I have a confession: I'm not sure when the last time was when I watched the State of the Union address. I think I may have watched it in 2003. But I'm not even certain of that. Perhaps a glance through the archives would show that I watched a bit of it last year, I don't know.

The truth is, I find it unwatchable.

...the thing itself (watching the actual production in real time) and then the imbecile chatter afterwards -- I just can't deal. I just find it unbearable.

Are there others out there like me?

Josh, Josh, Josh. Are you kidding? There are legions of us out here exactly like you. You couldn't pay me to watch that phony imcompetent jackass speak, especially for an hour. The only time I would ever watch him is if he ever had the courage to speak extemporaneously in front of a non-screened audience and would take non-scripted questions from them. Why should I (or any thoughtful individual) care to allot more precious free time to watching Potemkin Village townhall meetings, photo-ops, and campaign love-fests?

For my part, I think I watched the SOTU in 2002, after 9/11. That was chilling enough. Before that, I'm sure I missed most of Clinton's SOTUs as well. The whole thing has turned into a stupid charade, devoid of real information and more like a pure cheerleading event than an honest assessment of where we are and what we're doing. Until that changes, you can count me out.

tags: ,

Comments: Post a Comment


This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?